Stash chocolates out of reach
We love tucking into chocolate at Christmas, but it can make our fourlegged friends very poorly.
Paws off that pudding!
The dried currants, raisins and sultanas (also found in mince pies) can leave dogs feeling very ruff indeed. The same goes for blue cheese and macadamia nuts.
Dispose of scraps safely
The dog (or other pets) might beg you for a turkey leg, but resist those puppy dog eyes, because cooked bones have a tendency to splinter when chewed.
Sweep up prickly pines
Protect fragile foot pads by cleaning up dropped needles. Gnawing at the tree branches can irritate dogs' mouths and tummies too.
Consider tethering your tree
To an adventurous dog, your twinkling Christmas tree looks like a tantalising playground. Consider securing it, so it can’t be toppled over.
Stick to plain water
Avoid chemical Christmas tree preservatives which can be toxic for our four-legged friends, who often love lapping up water from the tree stand.
Dog-proof your decorations
Fairy lights and glass baubles add Christmas sparkle, just dangle them where they can’t be chewed or broken underfoot.
Be berry aware
Poinsettias, ivy, holly and mistletoe can give dogs a sore tummy, especially the berries.
Keep drinks off the coffee table
Alcohol can make curious canines wobbly and drowsy, just like us!
Be clever with candles
Position them where wagging tails won’t fan the flames.
Watch pups around presents
Plastic toys, silica gel sachets and batteries might be intriguing for Lottie they can be hazardous if swallowed.
Provide a quiet retreat
Dogs can find noise and excitement overwhelming, so offer Lottie a stress-free space away from loud music and Christmas crackers.
Mop up antifreeze spillages
It’s every driver’s friend in winter, but antifreeze is highly toxic to dogs, who are often attracted to the taste.